Simple Lead Generation Tactics For Tech Companies
Tech companies are usually defined as companies that employ technology to offer products and services. There are very broad categories within tech, including: hardware (computers and components), productivity (software and apps), and digital entertainment (streaming media).
Why is lead generation important for tech companies?
All companies need to find customers that are willing to buy their products or services, but tech companies have different needs than other industries. Since the resources required for lead generation are often capital-intensive, many tech start-ups don't have enough money to spend on complex lead generation strategies or lead scoring tools. Even established tech corporations struggle with generating leads, since they tend to be very technical and require a lot of time and expertise to understand.
Technology has become part of our daily lives. From the phones we use to the TVs in our homes, technology is everywhere. Many people who buy products and services use technology to find out more information about it before they make a purchase. That's why lead generation for tech companies is so crucial - customers are likely to do their research beforehand, so if one of these customers ends up buying, the company has a higher chance of making money.
How can a company generate leads?
The key is to be as relevant as possible. The challenge for any company selling technology-based goods or services is that it's difficult to know who will eventually want the product, so lead generation has to be done in a very broad fashion. Tech companies need to find their target audience, figure out what language they speak, and then tailor outreach efforts to that demographic.
Not every tech company can utilise classic lead generation strategies such as telemarketing, due to the nature of their product. However, there are many ways for tech companies to generate leads, and every company should use whatever approach makes the most sense for their business. For example, Hubspot generates leads by using content marketing. They release content like blog posts that people can read to learn more about certain topics that are useful for their business. They also make sure to release content on a regular basis so that people keep coming back to read more about these topics.
What are 10 different lead generation strategies that are suitable for tech companies?
- Build landing pages with good UX: Landing pages are simple, cost-effective ways to generate leads. They should be optimized for user experience by using language and images that appeal to their audience, as well as a call to action that is clear and concise.
- Create a free trial/demo: Many tech companies offer free trials for their products, where potential users can sign up and try their product before buying it. This serves as a huge lead generation strategy and allows the company to know more about their users, make adjustments based on their feedback, and ultimately drive conversions.
- Promote content: According to Amplifyed, content marketing and SEO are very valuable for tech companies, since they help them establish authority in their space and reach a targeted audience without spending too much money. As long as their content is well-researched and valuable, it should generate leads organically. In this respect, you will reach better results with the help of experienced SaaS marketing agencies.
- Build links: People are more likely to trust information that they find on other websites, which means that if content is able to get more exposure on other sites, it will generate leads. Similarly, building links is vital when it comes to SEO and being found organically.
- Participate in events: There are many tech-related conferences and meetups happening every day, so companies should try to make an appearance at these events. The exposure to new people will help increase the number of leads generated, and it's a great opportunity for networking.
- Sell an eBook: An eBook can be a cost-effective way to generate leads, since it's simple to put together and doesn't require a lot of time or money to make. It's a lengthy document written in an accessible language, which makes it easier for people to understand and more likely to lead to conversions.
- Be active on social media: Tech companies should make an effort to be present on as many different social media channels as possible to engage with their target audience. The bigger their presence, the more leads they will generate.
- Create a podcast: A podcast can be one of the most cost-effective lead generation strategies ever since it only requires a good quality podcasting microphone and a decent connection to record. The number of companies that have podcasts is skyrocketing, so having one will help a tech company stand out from the crowd.
- Partner with other companies: In some cases, tech companies can generate leads by partnering with similar businesses. If they are able to offer the product or service that their partners lack, then they are likely to benefit from increased exposure and get more leads.
- Optimise for local search: Local SEO helps companies show up in Google's local search results, which is very important for tech companies since consumers usually look for products or services in their own city. This is a very straightforward lead generation strategy that tech companies should prioritize.
What are some examples of tech companies that have obviously used lead-generation strategies?
Hubspot got its start by using content marketing to generate leads, and it has grown into an international force by continuing to rely on this strategy.
Google also generates plenty of leads with its Gmail service, which is free for most people and has millions of users.
Salesforce uses content marketing and hosted events to generate leads, and it has also started to get more involved in sponsorships and conferences.
In the end, there isn't one strategy that works best for all tech companies - it's up to them to find an approach that fits the culture of their business and helps them reach their audience. Lead generation is vital to the success of every tech company, so they should put as much effort as possible into it.
Successful lead generation requires a lot of creativity and research, but it will go a long way towards building a successful client base for any tech company.
Every lead generation approach has its own strengths and weaknesses, but some are definitely better than others. For example, partnering with other companies is an effective way to generate leads because it gives customers even more options to choose from. However, this approach can be tough to get right because it requires careful research and planning.
It all comes down to the culture of the business. Some places are very open-minded about new ideas, while others prefer sticking with what's worked in the past. The best strategy for any tech company is whatever approach fits its culture and is most likely to be successful.
Lead generation is very important for any business, but it's especially crucial for tech companies. Lead generation helps these companies become profitable and grow their customer base over time, so they should prioritise this area of their business as much as possible.
Also check out our guide on software lead generation with a video interview between two SaaS founders.